Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Literary Nudge From a Scarecrow


Image from andrewmuir.net

Well, not so much a scarecrow but more of a nudge from the aunt who introduced me to the wonderful world of Worzel Gummidge. I used to love scampering next door to play with my cousin, Kate, and listen to the way Aunt Anne made trivial events come alive through finely crafted wordplay. It was a sad day when I learned that their family was heading off to live in England for two years. But as they say, good often comes with the bad. 

In addition to having a chance to visit them and learning how to waltz from their gardener, Mr. Clews, the family's move also broadened my personal literary horizons. Aunt Anne wrote delightful letters to those of us left back in the United States. I still remember the excitement of receiving them. She also introduced me to a popular English book series based on a walking, talking scarecrow named Worzel Gummidge by Barbara Euphan Todd. The scarecrow stories broadened my creativity, and I began to craft my words with care, following my aunt's example. 


Perhaps it was Gummidge's influence that turned me on the path that I now walk as a writer specializing in children's media. That's one scarecrow that didn't scare me away! Now my aunt has agreed to write this blog with me so she can delight more readers with her phraseology and ability to see mundane scenarios from a totally new angle that makes them spring to life with stunning brilliance and subtle humor. 

Welcome to our blog!

Are there any books or people in your life who influenced you? What and who? Please share. We'd love to hear.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to your blog! :-) My mother was a big influence. She made sure all the arts were a part of our life growing up. As far as books, she was a school librarian, so we always had plenty to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to see this blog! Although I sadly did NOT inherit the writing gene, I do love literary geniuses and their fine craft.

    P.S. I still have a crush on Worzel ;)

    ReplyDelete