Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Writing Goals for 2011 - The New Year's Dance

Image From http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbdbrobot/140068142
If you had asked me last week, I would have told you my writing goals for 2011 included stability. That's changed now. Ever hear the saying that when you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans? Case in point here.

Last year at this time, one of my favorite companies to work for was hit by the economical woes we are all familiar with. It was a good wakeup call for me. I immediately sent out my resume and worked on diversifying my writing portfolio. I find it difficult to keep track of numerous things so I settled on five companies for which I would do the majority of my writing. The nerd in me came to the forefront as I discovered that I have a ravenous passion for writing book study guides and lesson plans.

I imagined easing into 2011 riding the gentle current of 2010. Then along with minor wave of the annual tax bill came the eddy of an email telling writers that our study guide writing is discontinued and our lesson plans are getting cut back. Ouch. And Bummer. Just when you think you had it made....

But there's a good side, too. Thanks to my diversified portfolio, it's not the end of the world. I'm nowhere near the panic I was in last year. I'll just pick up more work from one of my other jobs. My husband is encouraging me to grab the opportunity to use the freed-up time to do some writing for myself. I think I will. I'm hoping to come out with an e-book or two this year as my new goal.

For those interested in writing from home, I definitely have some advice - learned from friends and from experience. Advice which has made this turn of events disappointing instead of disastrous:

* Write for a company that you enjoy working for - even if it's volunteer. That keeps the joy of writing alive  (and keeps your resume filled with current clips).

* Write for residual pay. You might make pennies a day for your work, but it pays off in the long run, especially when you take breaks.

* Don't turn down opportunities to write for writing mills. While the writing is not glamorous, it helps pay the bills, and it allows you to work from home on your own terms in your own hours, and that's priceless.

* Try new genres regularly to see what piques your interest.

* Join a group or forum where you can work with others to stay updated on the markets, jobs, and trends.

Keep that writing fun, add a bit of reality, and experiment. Remember what a gift it is to be your own boss. That's the joy of writing from home. Happy 2011, everyone!


2 comments:

  1. What good, practical advice about writing! I'm glad you wrote it here so I can refer to it if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tid bits of info. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete