Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Concrete Boots


While doing knee exercises prescribed by my physical therapist, I remembered I wanted to do a quick cleaning of the bathtub.  I like to do it first so the chemicals have a chance to sit there and do their job before I turn on the shower.

I turned from the sink, took two steps toward the tub and asked myself, "What on earth is going on?  Why is it so hard to walk?  Have I had a stroke?  Am I wearing concrete boots?  Is the mob going to throw me in the ocean?"
 
Before I could look down, I remembered I was wearing ankle weights.  I'm up to 4 pounds now, heading toward a maximum of 5.  This makes the knees work harder without my having to do anything.  I had never taken so much as one step away from the exercises and didn't know what it felt like to walk with weights.  What a relief to know I could return to normal walking in a matter of minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment