Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

A Puzzling Experience

A Guest Blog by Becki Libick


Image From http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradmontgomery/4363410868/ 

I like jigsaw puzzles. Granted, they aren’t the most exciting hobby available. But I really enjoy a pursuit that keeps my hands busy while it leaves my mind free to wander or to work on one of life’s conundrums. Jigsaw puzzles fit that bill just about right. I don’t do the big 1,000 piece puzzles unless there’s a group of puzzlers around. The process is important, but completion matters, too. So the especially hard ones have no appeal, either– pictures of somebody’s marble collection, for instance.


My son once gave me a double-sided puzzle. It had a picture of Dalmations on the front and the same picture was on the back, turned 90 degrees. I don’t know if the gift was meant to affirm his confidence in Mom’s puzzling ability or to drive her completely crazy. It didn’t have a chance to do either; I gave it to a more avid puzzler than I will ever be. My favorite kind of puzzle has 500 colorful pieces and is pretty, not too difficult, and pleasant for the eyes. After all, if it demands my full attention, then my mind doesn’t get to wander at all.

Not every puzzler shares my perspective. My husband doesn’t care how big or difficult the puzzle is. He likes the thrill of the hunt, meeting the challenge, and the victorious finish. That’s fine with me. He can be the conquering hero of the jigsaw. When the puzzle is done I’ll bring my mind back to the present - at least long enough to choose another puzzle
.

No comments:

Post a Comment