Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow Day

Image by Steve Parker http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparker/3247441398/ 
Guest Post by Tonia Slimm


Looking out the window the other night I watched the lights reflecting off the snow as the cars drove by. As I stood there I was reminded of that warm cozy feeling I get when I’m safe and snug at home.

The morning had been one of those questionable ones, a cold winter day with snow expected. The kind of day young children love and older ones pray for. This particular morning started just as the weatherman had predicted it would, with snow.

As school cancellations scrolled along the bottom of the television I was reminded of that feeling I would get as a child when school was canceled. The first instant was of pure joy, the next moment of planning what I would fill my day with. There then followed the feeling of peace, comfort and safety; knowing I would be safe and warm tucked inside my home with my family, everyone together. I always loved that feeling.

On this day, as an adult, all those feelings washed over me again. A snow day, I was so excited. You need to understand something though, I homeschool my two younger kids (my two older ones are in college). Snow really does not affect our day at all. I still felt that peaceful, comforting feeling wash over me though. We were all tucked inside our safe warm home! My next thought was, “ What shall we do today?”

Although nothing exciting happened on this particular day, we did spend time together as a family. We read together a missionary story; an adventure from South America. We played in the snow and then cleaned the walks. We drank hot cocoa and enjoyed each other’s company. It was a good day.


As I stood that night looking out the window at the lights reflecting off the snow I let that “Snow Day” feeling wash over me again. A feeling of peace and comfort, that feeling of being tucked inside my home safe and warm with my family. That feeling that everything is all right with my world. I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment